Saturday, June 25, 2011

Framed Stained Glass


A friend asked me to make a frame for a stained glass work that her deceased father made many years ago. The leaded glass work lay in her attic for a long time; but she is moving soon and wants to give it a place of honor in her new home. It's a small piece (11"x18"), and I certainly didn't want to have the frame compete with it. The accompanying photo shows the simple, unobtrusive result. The frame will be hung in a window well, from narrow chain. The rear side (not visible in the photo) is also framed out and finished off as carefully as the front. As a result the piece can be viewed from either side. The wood is pine; the finish is multi-stage: a few coats of 2 lb. cut super-blonde shellac, followed by some Minwax cherry stain, then a few more coats of shellac. My hope is that I honored her father's craftsmanship, and that she likes the end product as much as I.

No comments:

Post a Comment