Monday, August 9, 2010

What you need . . . and what you want

I read an account recently of a man who visited his successful son's newly-built high-tech home. Gadgets and "conveniences" were everywhere -- and some of them actually made life easier. When the elderly gentleman returned home, a friend asked him what had impressed him most about his son's home. His answer was quick and to the point: "I was most impressed with the fact that my son is working so hard to accumulate things he doesn't need."

As I page through the blizzard of woodworking catalogues I receive regularly, I am increasingly impressed with how aggressive these marketers are in selling stuff that -- in my view, anyway -- isn't necessary. I realize, of course, that improvements in technology, safety, precision, and convenience are often significant. And I'm certainly eager to replace or supplement my existing tools and equipment with items that make my work more accurate, safer, or more convenient. The problem is, too many of the "innovations" being marketed simply don't do those things. In fact, a few I've made the mistake of trying actually made my work more difficult and complex, not less!

So I suppose the bottom line is: know what you need, and buy the best you can. But be skeptical about new gadgets that promise the world. Remember, woodworkers created beautiful products for centuries without the innovations so often touted nowadays. And finally: in our craft, you learn more by doing things by hand first, then by moving on to the "power" assist provided by modern technology.


No comments:

Post a Comment